Tuesday, April 20, 2010

New Beginnings

Well, I suppose I am going to dedicate this particular blog specifically to my writing. Perhaps it will aid me staying in a writing mindset.

Back in August 2009, I decided I was going to really get on the ball and start my own copy writing business. I've loved writing ever since I was six years old. I'd write silly little short stories and illustrate them with horrible little scribblings, I read constantly, I must have had hundreds of books that I just plowed through throughout my childhood. I continued writing through adolescence, through my teen years, and now into my twenties. It's always something that I've come back to, no matter what situation I've been in, or what job I've held, writing was always lurking in the background, asking to be called upon. So I started thinking... how could I make money doing something I enjoy so much without taking the enjoyment out of it? Then it came to me, perhaps I should try my hand at copy writing. I've already been writing copy in my current job, and dabbling a little in graphic design, and it's something I actually like doing. The best part is, I could work for myself.

However, it's been slow going trying to get my tiny little business off the ground. I currently work full time in an office, and find my energy to promote my own business waning by time I get home at night. I decided to put myself out there to a long list of friends, some of which I've known since grade school and I actually pulled in a lead just the other day.

It's been disheartening at times doing this all by myself. A lot of people don't fully understand what I'm offering. An easy way to look at it is... think of an ad in the newspaper, this ad is selling say an automobile, I'd be the person who wrote the text for said ad essentially. I basically just need to get my name out to the right market. Of course, working during regular business hours doesn't give me much opportunity to search for potential clients, so I've resorted to searching for prospects via websites like: www.linkedin.com. Sadly, I've found no luck there so far.

In the meantime, I'm also trying to let my novel writing passion shine through, just to keep me going. I got the idea for a manuscript about two years ago, and finally started putting it into play a little over a year ago. This has also been slow going because I sometimes let a lot of deterrents come between me and my writing. However, I feel like I've got some real good meat in what I've written so far, and the one outside party that I let read what I've got so far has given me a pretty solid review. I'm trying keep that in mind when I get to thinking that what I'm writing is garbage. I suppose every writer thinks that about their work at least once, if not dozens of times when they're working on a piece.

In any case, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that this one little lead from my childhood might come through, and that I'll finish my manuscript one day in the near future and a publisher will pick it up and send it out into the world. Even if it's just a pipe dream, it's still nice to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment