Friday, November 19, 2010

On Control

The office is dead today. Both owners out of town. I'm left in charge. It's unnerving, it's disquieting, it's overwhelming. Does that mean I'm capable? It's hard being the "go-to" person when one doesn't want to be. I never asked to be. I didn't sign up for it. I didn't volunteer. I do the best job I can, and usually what I'm rewarded with is more work. Luckily as I've said, the day has been pretty quiet. However, two clients are wanting to submit an offer on a house over the weekend, and I'm feeling obligated to make myself available, even though technically it's not my bag. I'm hoping to slink quietly out of the office, free from that worry for 48 hours.

I'm glad that the day is slow because for the past two days I had the overwhelming charge of doing my job, training the new front desk manager, and doing the accounting work. I can usually hold my own, but it just seemed to be overly busy and I was feeling like I was going to jump out of my skin.

On a side note, I should be able to get some writing in this weekend. I might even finish the manuscript. Now wouldn't that be novel?

No comments:

Post a Comment