Wednesday, June 29, 2011

On Independence

While there's plenty of things to look forward to in the summer, one of them is the "Fourth of July" festivities. I usually attend a few parties, see some fireworks, and most notably, have a day off from the office. It just so happens that the holiday falls on a Monday this year, three day weekend, lovely. This year, I'll be attending the Stars & Stripes Festival, which is really just a reason for a bunch of people to get together, drink, and listen to mostly crappy bands and see some fireworks. Since my best pal lives in the heart of where the festival takes place, a few of us usually go to his house. If one doesn't feel like walking "downtown" to see the fireworks, they're watchable right from his yard.

Then there's my sister-in-law's party which I was going on believing was going to take place on Sunday, but recently found out will be on Monday. That sort of takes things down a notch. She lives close to me, a mere four blocks away. It's usually a pretty good crowd, some members of the family are quite into we'll say... the not so legal fireworks which usually turns out to be a good time. Of course, since this party is on a "school" night, I don't know how long I'll be staying around for said fireworks.

This particular month of July is quite a busy one for me, as far as weekends go. There's parties, a wedding, a vacation, my birthday, and I recently got invited to attend a roller derby training session each Thursday in July. I pretty much love roller derby.

Of course, it's nearly July and I haven't swam once this season, despite having some overly hot days, the water just wasn't primed. I am however looking forward to possibly visiting Virginia Beach at the end of next month and swimming in the Atlantic. We'll see how that pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment