Monday, August 8, 2011

On The Simple Things

There isn't much I get excited about anymore. Nothing is as nearly intense as it was a decade ago. That being said, here are a few things which delight me:



  • Being on vacation (the planning part and the actual vacation are what I enjoy. I hate leaving my pets. I always feel guilty.)

  • Sleeping in until 9:00 (when the cat lets me.)

  • Receiving new books!!!!

Yes, it may be nerdy, but it's like Christmas when I see that little Amazon box arrive with my goods inside. As I pulled into the driveway on Friday, the UPS truck was pulling up simultaneously, and I thought... maybe he's got my books. And he did. He walked right up and handed me my package. I was utterly geeked out. Not only was it the end of the day Friday, but I had three more books lined up in my quene. EEK!


What are the books I've gotten so excited about you ask? Well to be honest, I don't remember the name of the other two, as I found them on a whim, but one of them is Gerald's Game by Stephen King. I'm sort of a huge King fan. The other two are supposedly true haunting stories a la The Amityville Horror which thoroughly creeped me out and I enjoyed, so I'm hoping these other two deliver. The reviews were good, with only a few not so stellar comments, so I thought I'd give them a chance.


Which reminds me, while my husband and I were on vacation, I found this adorable little used book shop in South Haven called Black River Books. It was the coolest bookstore I've been in in a while. The stacks were high and close together, it felt like another world, a world a could get lost inside for hours. However, it would have been torture for my husband, so I think I spent a max of 15 minutes in there. I did find a couple of King books. One, I already have on e-Book, The Dark Half but since I loved it so much, and it was so cheap for the hardcover, I bought it. I love older hardcovers with their dust jackets, I don't know why. There were some other ones, but I've got the paperbacks and couldn't justify buying them. The other one is also a King book, but it's essays on writing, and I've never seen it before, so I grabbed it. Two hardcovers for $15.00, can't beat it.


One would think that since I love books so much that I should work in a book store, and I've thought about it, but I don't think I'd want to work in a chain book store like Barnes & Noble, though I love Barnes & Noble. I'd rather work in some small little Indie store, but I know I wouldn't make diddly squat, so... here I sit. So, instead of selling other people's books, I'll write my own and sell those. Same difference right? Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment