Tuesday, August 2, 2011

On Vacation

Vacations are always too short aren't they? Mine garnered an extra bonus because my birthday took place over my vacation, so what did I do? I spent the day on the beach, that's what. I followed it up with some sort of delicious Sangria concoction during dinner.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. We headed to an area outside of Lansing for a friend's wedding. The location was idyllic, at a nature preserve, however, the temperature was topping out at around 95 degrees that day and there was no A/C inside the building where dinner was being served. Yes, it led to a hot, sticky mess. But it seemed as though the party goers had a fair enough time.

We trekked along the Shore of Lake Michigan, from South Haven to Muskegon, making Holland our Home Base of sorts. It's a wonderful little town filled with genuinely happy people, not like over here on the East side, where everyone is angsty and pissed off all the time. They're progressive with their electric car plug ins and scooters scooting about town. It almost made me want to drop everything at home and move over there.

We cut the trip short because we were supposed to experience some pretty wicked storms for two days (which we did) so we headed home, regrouped, and headed up to Lake Huron, which is just over an hour away from our house. More beach bumming ensued, with friends even, making for a perfect end to a lovely vacation week.

I don't know when I'll see my next vacation, some time in 2012 I imagine.

Probably the best looking lighthouse of them all, the Whitehall Light which is currently a museum, except we couldn't figure out how to get to the other side of the channel to actually enter the museum, so a photograph must suffice.
The Grand Haven Light, which looks just like the South Haven Light minus the rather colorful graffiti.


We drove over to Holland to start the official vacation/lighthouse tour. Below is what the Hollanders call Big Red! Which isn't that big in person, so it left me rather baffled.

You can't go to Holland and not see the only working windmill in the U.S. imported directly from the Netherlands. Yes, you can go inside and walk up onto the deck and view the whole park, which would probably be more breathtaking during the Tulip Time Festival.


No comments:

Post a Comment