Sunday, October 10, 2010

On Pets

Every day I'm feeling incredibly lucky to have such amazing animals in my life. These two are my rescues and they are just the most lovable guys. They also amaze me by how well they get along together, like two peas in a pod. They nap together, play together, sit together, and look out for each other when one of them doesn't feel good. I've had Leopold (the cat) for just over three years, and Jameson for almost two years. It didn't even take them very long to adapt to each other when Jameson came home. It was as if they were meant to be.

I don't want to leave out Paco, my parrot. Paco is special because he's been around my entire life, and then some. My mother brought him home when my brother was just a kid, and he's currently 36. Paco is odd in that he's forged bonds with cats. Not just any cats mind you. The first cat I ever got was when I was 11 years old. This cat was my best pal, he was always right where I was. It was also about the same time I befriended Paco since he didn't really seem to like either of my parents. My cat was laid back, didn't have a care in the world, so I thought I'd introduce him and Paco to each other face to face. When Paco saw that the cat never meant him any harm, he fell in love. He followed that cat where ever he went, he preened him, and got jealous when anyone touched him. Well, I had to put that cat to sleep about four years ago and Paco was just heartbroken, no more tweets or twitters escaped his beak. My parents brought a new cat into the house, but he just didn't bond with her, or the next one that came in. When I moved out on my own, I Paco came with me, and I decided that it might be time for a cat in my house. Well, I met Leopold and I knew immediately he was the cat for me. Sure enough, he shares a lot of the same characteristics my very first cat did, and Paco has fallen in love with this cat as well.

Animals have always enriched and been a part of my life. I've always had Paco, and I've always had a dog and as I've said, got my first cat at 11. For me, I can't just have one or the other, I'd like to think I'll always have a cat and a dog. I feel like, since I'm working a lot, I don't want to leave just a cat home alone or a dog home alone to be bored and lonely. I know that if they have a companion while I'm not there, they won't be completely lonely. Or maybe I'm just nuts and they don't care either way.

I just enjoy watching their interactions and their mannerisms, the way they play, the way Jameson has doggie dreams, or the way Leopold will wake me up by sitting right next to me on the bed staring me in the face. I love them for the laughs and the companionship and the way they know if something is wrong or if my husband or I don't feel well, they'll stick by us. They are amazing creatures and I'm glad to have met them.

No comments:

Post a Comment