Saturday, October 30, 2010

On Devil's Night

Last night I went to the most amazingly decorated Halloween Party thrown by my best friend. He went the extra mile with his Parlor this year and outfitted it in funeral attire. Given that his house was built circa 1885, actual funerals did take place there, which just added to the ghoulishness. He had a good turn out as far as the crowd went, though I was expecting a few old friends to drop by, however they were no where to be seen. I did see one old friend though who in turn invited me to a party she's having tonight. I'm interested in going, but feel that it may be awkward because we're not nearly as close as we used to be. But still, she lives close by, and dropping in certainly couldn't hurt right?

The rest of this day shall entail carving pumpkins, watching horror flicks, spending time with friends, enjoying the season, and holiday. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'll be passing out candy for the ingrate children of the neighborhood. Last year was a great success though. I dressed in a former zombie costume (pretty convincing in the dark) and laid in the grass on my front lawn under some leaves. My husband sat on the porch with the bowl of candy. I would slink to life when the passersby would least expect it, and incite terror and even some tears. Isn't that what Halloween is about? Despite making some children cry, I didn't come across any angry parents, they all amazingly took it in stride, some of them even loved the idea. And I really can't lie, startling the youngsters gave me quite a thrill. Halloween has become too sugar coated.



No comments:

Post a Comment