Thursday, March 1, 2012

On Day One

Here we are. The first day of a new month. Which, if you live in Michigan, you already know not to have high expectations of March. However, there are a few things to look forward to, Daylight Savings Time (a sham) and the Vernal Equinox. That’s it.


This is also the first day of my month-long blogging challenge. What makes one want to take part in a month-long challenge of anything? I sure as hell don’t know, but this challenge for me is all about sparking creativity. Well don’t you have anything else better to do? One might ask. You bet your ass I do, but pressing my creative button comes first. So here it is, I’ll be posting something each day for thirty-one days, something quirky, sometimes a list, sometimes a photo, whatever, and hopefully you’ll stop in and be entertained.

Challenge # 1: Post a recent picture of you and 15 interesting facts about yourself

I consider this picture recent enough. It was taken in July 2011 in Holland, MI. You’re probably thinking this picture is boring, you can’t even see her face! (If you’re into that sort of thing.) Why would she choose this? I’ll tell you why, because there’s an incredibly funny story to go along with this photo.

My husband and I were visiting the windmill in Holland because I am a Dutch bastard and I wanted to see the only authentic Dutch windmill in the country and I threw a hissy fit and started kicking and screaming until he agreed to take me there. <— That statement is false, but I did really want to see it. Along the property they have various animals: cows, peacocks, chickens, and horses. There were five or so horses trotting around inside a gated area, and I wanted very badly to take some photos of them. For whatever reason, the horses were camera-shy and started trotting away. I started jogging after the horses with my camera pointed at them calling out “Come back ponies!” All my husband could do was follow behind me and laugh. Needless to say, they stood still for a moment so I could get a few shots of them. This one in particular really wanted to go at the salt lick, but it was occupied, so he settled for letting me pet his nose. One thing led to another and he started nibbling on my shirt, and I thought, oh how cute, he thinks my shirt is grass. I can tell you, it wasn’t so cute when he tried to rip my shirt off my body! His nibbling turned into some serious chewing and it seemed like he was trying to pull me through the fence to finish me off. I had no idea horses were meat eaters! I of course did nothing to stop him. I threw my hands in the air and shouted at my husband, “What do I do?” He continued to laugh. I might add that it was also a very amusing scene for the other vacationers that were standing to the side. They were laughing their asses off as I was about to get gobbled up by a gang of horses.

Eventually I got the horse to pony up (get it?) my shirt and I stepped back noting the horse spit and ground up grass on my belly. And if you’re wondering, I absolutely continued sight-seeing while wearing that spat upon shirt.

Interesting Facts:

1. I am left-handed and not at all ambidextrous. My father, who is also a lefty, and I often times have to sit together in the corner at the dinner table as to not disturb all you “normies.”

2. I have a purple (nearly brown) belt in karate. I still can’t kick anyone’s ass.

3. I’m an excellent marksman… with a .22 rifle and a scope.

4. I’ve never not had a pet in my life.

5. I’ve never had a broken bone.

6. I once set a record on a relay team on my high school track team.

7. I can play the trombone.

8. I’m obsessed with photographing trees.

9. I have a sick addiction to books.

10. Sometimes just for fun, I’ll tell people that I got the scars on my back from a knife fight. (I really got them from getting danger moles removed.)

11. I’ve had a kidney stone. It was rattling around in there so long, I called it, Hector.

12. I’m claustrophobic.

13. I’ve lived with a parrot for 28.5 years.

14. I’m sickly addicted to the Resident Evil video games.

15. **Shameless Plug** I’ve written a novel! Go buy a copy here: http://www.amazon.com/Stress-Test-Kate-Dockeray/dp/1461074339/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330649055&sr=8-1

Now that that’s over with, tell me at least five interesting things about you.



No comments:

Post a Comment