Thursday, March 15, 2012

On Day Fifteen

It's nearly the end of the week, and St. Patty's Day. Always cause for celebration. The weather is still beautiful here, I do believe it was about 75 degrees... in March, so after work I decided to take advantage and ride my motorbike. Little did I know I was tooling around the area during tornado warnings. Luckily, I got home before anything happened, and nothing has happened as of yet.

Getting back to the subject of music, today I'll be running down a list of ten of the first songs that show up on my iPod on the shuffle mode. Interesting stuff, right?

1. The Flaming Lips - Do you Realize? Umm... this song is totally depressing, but it speaks the truth.
2. Weezer - Butterfly. Old school Weezer always makes me think of high school. My circle of friends and I only ever used to listen to Weezer together. Driving around the neighborhood looking for trouble, hanging out in each other's basement... Weezer!
3. Bob Dylan - Mr. Tambourine Man. This song reminds me of what it feels like to wake up with a hangover.
4. Lady GaGa - Born This Way. Being different (left handed, or what have you) is okay, and the beat gives you a reason to party.
5. Imogen Heap - Just For Now. This is a flighty song that for whatever reason makes me feel good, and makes me think of the movie "The Holiday."
6. Sponge - Rainin'. Classic mid 90's rock. A great song if you're feeling down in the dumps. It probably won't make you feel any better, but it's great stuff. This song often played after hours at the record store I worked at as a teenager, along with the rest of the Rotting Pinata album.7. Panic At the Disco - Nine in the Afternoon. I really don't know why I have this song, there was just something about it. I guess it's got a catchy beat.


8. The Doors - People Are Strange. Yes they are. Myself included. I've had an affinity for The Doors for years now. True rock.
9. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody. Wayne's World anyone? I'm sorry, the song is obviously older than that, but all I can think about is Dana Carvey and Mike Myers in that old Pinto head banging to this song.
10. Pixies - Where is My Mind? Another obvious one. Fight Club. All I ever envision is the closing scene. A great book, a great movie, a great song.

The range really varies. I listen to music to do all sorts of things. Exercise. Clean. Organize. Ride my bicycle. Drive. Fold laundry... well, you get the idea. Though, I'm not one of those people that can listen to music while writing. I've tried it, I really had. Music with lyrics just messed up my train of thought, so I switched to classical. I found that that relaxed me too much and I didn't want to write anymore. I find it's better to just work in silence.

What are your top five favorite songs or bands?

No comments:

Post a Comment