Saturday, March 24, 2012

On Day Twenty Four

When did the weekend stop being such a big deal? Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy the weekend, sleeping in a few extra hours, not working, resetting, but I don't find it necessary to party every weekend, or to be out on the town. For instance, last night after work I got a pizza, played some video games, and watched Pretty In Pink with my husband. Doesn't sound too exciting right? Well, it wasn't, but it was just right.

Typically since he has Saturday off we wander over to the local Starbucks (which we'll be doing as soon as I finish this) and then stopping by his parents house for dinner, his mom is a great cook, I am lacking. The idea of going out tonight is inviting, but there's really no feeling of urgency to get out there. This is a typical weekend routine of mine.

Another routine I have is reading for about a half hour or so before bed. I recently read a study which stated that reading before bed keeps you awake because it stimulates your mind. Well, I must be a freak because reading before bed knocks me right out, there's just something soothing about it.

Right now I'm currently re-reading The Great Gatsby which I read eleven years ago in high school English. The great thing about reading it again is, since I don't have a great memory, it's like reading a brand new book. All these years I was thinking about how much I loved the book because it's written and takes place in the 20's (one of my favorite time periods) and then I got to thinking, damn I really need to read that again, as an adult. There's so much that went over my head when I read it as a sixteen year old. Now, I realize the book is down right saucy.

I've always had some romanticized idea of the 20's in my head. Flappers, bootlegging, exquisite French parties, the whole nine. Maybe that's why I fell in love with The Great Gatsby. And then of course I watched Midnight in Paris which was completely the opposite of what I thought it was going to be. As I was watching, I was thinking about how I had the same ideas in my head as Owen Wilson's character did about the literary 1920's. Don't get me wrong, this movie is a little kooky, but worth a watch if you're an aspiring writer.



My strongest routine is reading however. It doesn't matter where I am, I have to have a book on hand. I'll read on my lunch break at work, that is, if I don't doze of for twenty minutes instead, I'll read while on vacation, I'll read while laying in a hammock at the park, I'll read on vacation. Luckily, I've still got a pretty strong reading list lined up, so I won't need to hunt for a new book for some time.

What's one of your routines that you absolutely have to follow?

No comments:

Post a Comment